Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On 4/9/06, Jaap Haitsma <jaap haitsma org> wrote:
> The only message I see that the "daemon" might want to send to the
> applet is a message that the system is going to suspend/hibernate and
> that is already something we want to do to notify other apps that the
> system is going to suspend/sleep and that they need to take appropriate
> actions if necessary.
>
> So in my opinion it's not that difficult, or am I missing something?

I thought this was part of the power of dbus enabled technologies...
the ability to write
small daemon processes which use the bus to communicate to/from
whatever clients want to be listening.  Right now it might seem that
the desktop applet is the primary and only mechanism that informs
desktop users. But as a sysadmin I want the Network Manager stuff to
be as flexible as possible so that I can script my own dbus clients
which trigger actions like email or logging events by the same
communication mechanism that triggers UI changes in the desktop applet
used to inform the active desktop user of power related events.

I'm not going to fight to have the standard g-p-m ui and configuration
mechanisms incorporating the functionality that I need locally as a
sysadmin.  My needs are absolutely based on local policy crackrock and
I respect the bounds of the usage-case that is being designed for with
the applet and the exposed configuration UI.

To do what I need to do to write specialized local dbus clients for my
local needs as a sysadmin, I don't need anything more than a level
playing field with regard to available communication from the "daemon"
to the applet "client".   While I don't need the applet to be stripped
out as a seperate entity, I am concerned that the applet itself is
treated as a general stand-alone dbus client entity so that its clear
that all necessary event communications are being appropriately
handled over the bus so that any locally built dbus clients have
access to the same communications has the applet.

Needs of sysadmins go beyond simple "desktop compatibility" issues or
the even simplier desktop user usage case scenarios which are used to
inform design decisions with regard to the provided UI elements. I
don't expect you to solve my local needs as a sysadmin, it would be
very useful if there was however an effort to make sure that
transparent dbus communications are strictly used so that I can write
my own clients for my own needs which trigger on the same
communication has the desktop user oriented applet.

-jef