Re: error message at gpilotd initialization

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 07:37 -0700, Landis McGauhey wrote:
> Andrew, thanks, that did it!  JPilot is now good to go.  Now, please
> bear with me here as this is uncharted territory for me-- do I need to
> write a shell script for init so this is done at every boot, or is
> doing it once permanent?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Landis McGauhey
> North-Central California USA

Hi Landis,

I use Mandriva 2009 and for me it is just a matter of firing up  Konsole
as root, and then using mc with its marvellous editor to edit
the /etc/modprobe.d/visor file  by adding a hash before the only line in
the file which may be:

blacklist visor

thus:

# blacklist visor

hit F2 and save and exit.

If you do not have an /etc/modprobe.d/visor file then see if you have
an /etc/modprobe.preload file and edit that.  Here is what mine looks
like:

[andrew andrew etc]$ cat /etc/modprobe.preload
# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
# for old kernel use /etc/modules

nvidia_agp
[andrew andrew etc]$

In this case I would just add visor underneath the nvidia line and hit
return and then save.

No script necessary in Mandriva but I cannot answer for other distros.

Andrew Greig