Re: error message at gpilotd initialization

Andrew, thanks, that did it!  JPilot is now good to go.  Now, please bear with me here as this is uncharted territory for me-- do I need to write a shell script for init so this is done at every boot, or is doing it once permanent?

Thanks again,

Landis McGauhey
North-Central California USA

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Andrew Greig <algreig bigpond net au> wrote:
On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 06:52 -0700, Landis McGauhey wrote:
> Nathan, thank you very much.  Unfortunately, all of the USB nodes
> (there are several) available from the applet's drop-down list
> generate the same error message.  By the way, the same is true of the
> USB nodes available from the drop-down list in JPilot.
>
> Keeping on eye on Nautilus open to /dev, I notice that every time the
> sync button is pressed on the PDA, nodes with very strange names like
> "usbdev2.29_ep81" appear in /dev.  The suffix numeral of each new node
> increases by one digit with each new press of the sync button.
>
> I'm rather stymied at this point, but I know there's a solution and
> with the insight and help of everyone on the list, we'll find it.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Landis McGauhey
> North-Central California USA
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Matt Davey <mcdavey mrao cam ac uk>
> wrote:
>         Landis,
>
>         Just to be explicit: what you need to do is to fire up the
>         gnome pilot
>         configuration applet (either via your configuration menus, or
>         run
>         "gpilotd-control-applet" from a terminal window).
>
>         Then, under the 'devices' tab, you need to edit the port, and
>         where it
>         says "/dev/pilot" you need to choose "usb:" from the dropdown
>         menu.
>
>         That should be all you need to do, but let us know how you get
>         on.
>
>         Matt
>

>         On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 06:14 -0700, Nathan Owens wrote:
>         > It sounds like your distributions is using libusb. If so,
>         then just
>         > choose "usb:device", as mentioned in the error message. You
>         wouldn't
>         > need to rebuild the kernel or anything like that.
>         >
>         > Nathan
>         >
>         <snip>

I have grown weary of trying to get my LifeDrive to sync usng libusb, so
when that message comes up I just do

# modprobe visor

and get on with the business.  At first I thought it was a mandriva
thing, but I suspect it may be my device not behaving as expected.

Andrew Greig