Re: gnome-pilot and pilot-xfer restore don't work

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 07:43 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 06:21 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > But the udev auto-loading visor is the only explanation that makes
> > sense...  I just tried blacklisting visor and adding the
> > 60-libpisock.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d as described in the
> > README, did /etc/init.d/udev restart (even rebooted), but it doesn't
> > work: connecting the device always loads visor and interferes with
> > libusb. :-(
>
> A few things come to mind:
>
> If you blacklisted visor, removed it, restarted udev and its STILL
> else in /etc/modules? Something distribution-specific? I'd rgrep /etc/
> for visor and see what comes up.

re. distribution-specific: did you use the right location for your
blacklist file?  Not sure what's right in your case... I guess you could
restart udev and check the access time on your blacklist file gets
updated (ls -lu).

> > Now I have another problem: a 700p which doesn't restore at all with
> > usbserial.  I haven't seen anything on the pilot-link or gnome-pilot
> > lists on this, and the web is not much help.
>
> Did you add the 700p's vendor/prod structures to the .rules for for udev
> using pilot-link? I don't think we've ever had a user with a 700p before
> using udev, so that entry may need to be updated so that libusb can hook
> in and handle it at connect time (likewise for the visor module, that'll
> need to be updated and rebuilt as well; it doesn't require a kernel
> rebuild, you can just build and install the patched module directly).

Alternatively, you should be able to do:
modprobe visor vendor=0x0830 product=0x61
(use the correct vendor/product IDs for your 700p -- you can use lshal
during a sync attempt to find the IDs).

Matt

> > If people have ideas on getting libusb to work I'm happy to keep
> > trying for a couple of days, but fortunately they also gave me a fixed
> > 600 to fall back on.
>
> If you rmmod visor, cradle your Palm device, and hit HotSync... does the
> system log show any visor-related messages at all? If so, then I'd
> backtrack from there and see why.
>
> Also, make sure you're running a current version of udev. I'm running
> 108-0ubuntu4 here and it works great. You don't need the latest bleeding
> edge version (and DO NOT build it from source and try to install it
> yourself, you will break things). You just need something current.
>
> If you're still having trouble, catch me/us on irc and we'll help
> real-time; irc.pilot-link.org, port 6667 for cleartext, 994 for ircs.

Matt Davey	Wagner has lovely moments but awful quarters of an hour.
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 			-- Gioacchino Rossini.