Re: Newbie questions

Callum Macdonald keyed the following on 8/22/2007 7:51 PM:
> Hey Pete,
>
> Second question first, yes you can pipe the output to a file from
> gpilotd. The command that works for me (it may not be the best way of
> doing it, but it does work for me) is this: /usr/bin/gpilotd >
> /path/to/some/file 2>&1
>
> This pipes both the standard out and the error out to the file. I've
> read about how piping errors works, but I can't remember it all off
> the top of my head. I know that works for me!

That sends stdout of gpilotd to the file (but it's not on the screen, is it?) and sends errout (2) to the same place as stdout (1)

> First question second, you can setup gpilot to sync with Evolution,
> so you could view the data there.

How does one do that? Running gpilotd in terminal doesn't give me a window with options.

> If you don't want to use Evolution, the simplest option might be
> jpilot. It works for me via USB. You need to stop gpilotd, it's not
> used at all, and use jpilot to sync. It's based on Palm Desktop, but
> it's quite old I think, so it doesn't support some of the newer
> features (datebook categories, multiple addresses), if I remember
> correctly.

Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

Senility Prayer
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.