Re: Newbie questions

Hey Pete,

Second question first, yes you can pipe the output to a file from gpilotd. The command that works for me (it may not be the best way of doing it, but it does work for me) is this:
/usr/bin/gpilotd > /path/to/some/file 2>&1

This pipes both the standard out and the error out to the file. I've read about how piping errors works, but I can't remember it all off the top of my head. I know that works for me!

First question second, you can setup gpilot to sync with Evolution, so you could view the data there. If you don't want to use Evolution, the simplest option might be jpilot. It works for me via USB. You need to stop gpilotd, it's not used at all, and use jpilot to sync. It's based on Palm Desktop, but it's quite old I think, so it doesn't support some of the newer features (datebook categories, multiple addresses), if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers - Callum.

Pete Holsberg wrote:
Callum Macdonald wrote:
Hey Pete,

Open a terminal, then try one of these two:
/usr/libexec/gpilotd
/usr/bin/gpilotd

The latter worked. When I hit the HotSync button on my PDA, I saw that a backup was being performed and lots of stuff was being written to $HOME/MyPDA.

Two questions:

1) is there some kind of PIM (like Palm Desktop for Windows) that I can use to see the data?

2) Is there a way to capture the output of gpilotd in the terminal window?

Many thanks.