Re: Treo 650

> My ultimate goal is to be able to sync ToDo/Tasks, Contacts, and
> Calendar with Evolution with the occasional file transfer of Memos
> and other pdb's....  I remember reading on here about issues with a
> newer format to the ToDo/Tasks but was not sure if that was still an
> issue.

	Yes, it is still an issue, and probably will be for many more
months. Even if we were to fix it today, it would be a few months or
more before the current Evolution conduits are rewritten to compensate
for those changes (which are not exactly "trivial" in nature).

	As long as you don't use any of the "new fields" in those
applications, you'll be fine. Many of those include birthday, IM name,
categories in Calendar, etc. Just stick to the basics that your Palm V
supported and you'll be fine.

> I am also unclear as to what sort of success I might have, given
> that I also plan to upgrade to Fedora Core 4 at the same time (gotta
> make sure we change as many variables at once, right?).

	FC4 is completely broken with respect to Palm syncronization.
We've been dealing with it for about a month on the J-Pilot list, and
most people have decided to reformat and reinstall FC3 or another
non-Fedora Linux distribution because of the myriad of issues with it
(as well as dozens upon dozens of other broken packages they threw in
there).

	One ironic thing I should note is that Fedora's packagers
included pre-release versions of pilot-link and J-Pilot in the FC4
release, even though the front page of pilot-link.org for the latest
release (and previous releases) openly says, and I quote:

	DO NOT PACKAGE THIS UP TO PUT IN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS!
	You have been warned.

	Apparently they didn't seem to care, or thought they knew more
about the situation than I did when I wrote those release notes. There
is a very specific reason 0.12.x has a -preX release number in it...
so that it does NOT end up in distributions while applications like
Evolution, J-Pilot, KPilot, PilotManager, SyncBuddy, MissingSync, etc.
all update their codebases to work with the changes in the pilot-link
API.

> So, before I plunk down the cash on this new phone, anyone have any
> advice?

	Stick with the "old" fields in your Palm applications, don't
use FC4 if you want to actually get productive work done and you'll be
fine.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com
http://gnu-designs.com