Re: Treo 650

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 09:15 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > My ultimate goal is to be able to sync ToDo/Tasks, Contacts, and
> > Calendar with Evolution with the occasional file transfer of Memos
> > and other pdb's....  I remember reading on here about issues with a
> > newer format to the ToDo/Tasks but was not sure if that was still an
> > issue.
>
> 	Yes, it is still an issue, and probably will be for many more
> months. Even if we were to fix it today, it would be a few months or
> more before the current Evolution conduits are rewritten to compensate
> for those changes (which are not exactly "trivial" in nature).

So, for right now, I would be able to have my Tasks on the Treo 650 and
could manually back up that database but not sync it with Evolution - if
I am understanding you correctly.  But, at some point in the more
distant future, I may be able to sync it with Evolution....  That would
be livable the way I use it....  Actually Calendar working that way
right now would also be good.

> 	As long as you don't use any of the "new fields" in those
> applications, you'll be fine. Many of those include birthday, IM name,
> categories in Calendar, etc. Just stick to the basics that your Palm V
> supported and you'll be fine.

Do the new fields break the sync or just get lost in the transfer?  What
if I did an always one-way transfer?  For example (like I did to get
around the thousands of empty ToDos), I could set it to always "copy
from Palm" and only do input on the Treo.  Would the transfer work,
though some of the fields would be missing in Evolution and not
transfer?  About the only one I really need to go both ways with is the
Contacts since I tend to update from both sides.  But the Calendar and
Tasks is just more of a nicety to view in Evolution not a necessity the
way I work these days....

> > I am also unclear as to what sort of success I might have, given
> > that I also plan to upgrade to Fedora Core 4 at the same time (gotta
> > make sure we change as many variables at once, right?).
>
> 	FC4 is completely broken with respect to Palm syncronization.
> We've been dealing with it for about a month on the J-Pilot list, and
> most people have decided to reformat and reinstall FC3 or another
> non-Fedora Linux distribution because of the myriad of issues with it
> (as well as dozens upon dozens of other broken packages they threw in
> there).
>
> 	One ironic thing I should note is that Fedora's packagers
> included pre-release versions of pilot-link and J-Pilot in the FC4
> release, even though the front page of pilot-link.org for the latest
> release (and previous releases) openly says, and I quote:
>
> 	DO NOT PACKAGE THIS UP TO PUT IN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS!
> 	You have been warned.
>
> 	Apparently they didn't seem to care, or thought they knew more
> about the situation than I did when I wrote those release notes. There
> is a very specific reason 0.12.x has a -preX release number in it...
> so that it does NOT end up in distributions while applications like
> Evolution, J-Pilot, KPilot, PilotManager, SyncBuddy, MissingSync, etc.
> all update their codebases to work with the changes in the pilot-link
> API.

Ouch......

Thanks to both you and Nigel for your input....

--Rob