Re: How do I use the "File" conduit

> I can't get pilot-xfer to work because it expects /dev/pilot to be
> there when it starts and that isn't created until I hit the hotsync
> button and disappears until the pilot times out.  If I hit the
> hotsync button before running it it doesn't work either.

	pilot-xfer doesn't require /dev/pilot at all, and never has.
/dev/pilot is simply a "convenience" symlink to the real device inode
that the physical Palm's endpoint talks through.

	What you need to do is configure udev (and hotplug) properly
to create the symlink to the proper endpoint for you at device connect
time. This means about 4-5 seconds after you hit HotSync on your Palm
device, hald, udev, hotplug, etc. all do the rumba and two device
inodes will be created in /dev for you, with one of them being linked
to /dev/pilot.

	Depending on which device model, manufacturer and version of
the Palm device you have, will determine whether it is /dev/ttyUSB0 or
/dev/ttyUSB1. If you're connecting your Palm device through a USB hub,
those numbers could be higher up in the chain (/dev/ttyUSB7 and
/dev/ttyUSB8 for example).

	The device inodes can't be created until you make the
electrical connection to the desktop machine, and you do that via
hitting the HotSync button on your Palm cradle/cable, or tapping the
HotSync icon on your screen.

> I have the files conduit enabled in the Pilot Settings.  I just
> don't know where to put the files to be transfered.  I have a
> several palms and gpilot-install-file only has the --now and --later
> switches, none to specify which pilot.

	The only pilot it can talk to is the one currently configured
to communicate using that conduit. If gpilotd-control-applet points to
/dev/pilot, then any device that /dev/pilot symlinks to will have
those files sent to it, either --now or --later.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com
http://gnu-designs.com