Re: Coexisting with vmware?

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 13:11 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > I'm using VMWare Workstation 4.5.2 build-8848, and this doesn't work
> > for me. Whether I rmmod just visor or visor and usbserial, VMWare
> > pops up this message immediately when I press the hotsync button:
>
> 	I can confirm that this definately does NOT happen on my 4.5.2
> build of VMWare using udev + hotplug on Debian Unstable under 2.6.8.1,
> 2.6.9, and 2.6.10-rc2-mm4. When the VM has focus (i.e. the mouse is
> _inside_ the VM, not focus on the window itself), the Palm happily
> syncrhonizes with Outlook and friends.
>
> 	The visor driver gets loaded a few seconds after the VM sees
> the connection, but its too late, VMWare has already bound to the
> socket, and is communicating with the Palm at that point.

Weird. I'm using FC3 but with a vanilla 2.6.9 kernel compiled with
settings pretty much like the FC3 kernels. For me, the visor module
always wins the race. The only difference for me between focus and non-
focus is that VMWare pops up the error message immediately when it has
focus, rather than waiting for me to choose the menu option.

Personally, I'm fine with editing modules.usbmap when I need to make the
change. But if anybody has a burning desire to get to the bottom of
things, I'm glad to serve as guinea pig.

> Another solution is just to use LANSync and sync to your
> VMware instance (Palm Desktop) via that, instead of a local sync. You
> could just use pi-nredir -p /dev/ttyUSBx (with visor loaded) and
> configure your Palm to point to the vmnet1 IP address, and set HotSync
> Manager to listen only for Network connections (disable USB in HotSync
> Manager's setup).

Ah, that's very interesting. I'll give that a try, thanks!

William

--
William Pietri <william scissor com>