Re: Coexisting with vmware?

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 13:41 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	Yes, remove the visor module prior to syncronizing with
> VMWare. I do this all the time.

Hmmm... I'm puzzled. I thought I tried that, but perhaps I'm confused
about how to remove the module. I did "sudo rmmod visor" but that seems
to get reloaded when I press the Hotsync button. I also tried removing
both visor and usbserial with no more luck:

        Dec  7 10:56:44 royko kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
        Dec  7 10:56:44 royko kernel: usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using address 16
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: visor 2-3:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: usb 2-3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: usb 2-3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
        Dec  7 10:56:45 royko kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

And at the point where I can pick "PalmOne Inc. Palm Handheld" from the
VMWare devices menu, it seems too late; I get the message

        The specified device appears to be claimed by another driver
        (visor) on the host operating system which means that the device
        may be in use. VMware Workstation cannot safely take control of
        the device until the host driver is unloaded.

Removing what appears to be the next module in the chain, ohci_hcd,
prevents the autoloading of visor, but it also seems to keep VMWare from
seeing the device at all. How do you keep visor from getting reloaded?

> Now, thanks to being able to use
> libusb natively with pilot-link (no visor module required, 6x speed
> increase), I don't have to remove the module before I syncronize with
> whatever guest I have in VMWare.

That's in the upcoming version, yes? I look forward to it!

Thanks,

William

--
William Pietri <william scissor com>