Re: gnome-pim confusion

I'm cc calendar-list because this concerns changes to gnomecard and
needs to be approved by gnome-pim maintainers. Perhaps this can even
make it into gnome-pim 1.2?

Just to update everyone, Alan is suggesting adding support of REV
field to gnomecard, so that every time card is updated the new REV
(current date-time) is saved. This will allow pilot conduit to know
when the record was modified. I think this was tossed around before,
but no one (well I didn't ;) wanted to bother implementing it at a time.

Alan Shutko writes:
 > Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:
 >
 > > It's looking better every moment.  GnomeCard already reads, and
 > > carries forth this property.  (I don't know if it saves it....)  It
 > > doesn't display or update it.  Updating it is easy, I think.  Then all
 > > we need to do is add it to the sync logic!
 >
 > Ok, it doesn't save it.  I can work on that (maybe even display the
 > revision) if someone can lend a hand with the sync.

If gnomecard is improved to do this I'll add the necessary logic to
the conduit. Would be very quick and easy.

Note that this will not solve the deletion problem. To solve the
deletion problem, gnomecard needs to
  1) upon deletion leave the record in the file but "mark" it deleted.
     The only actual data that has to be preserved is UID, all else
     can be removed.
  2) ignore such deleted records on load.
I dont know how feasable that would in regards with staying compatible
wiht various RFCs and what not.

-Vadim