Re: Address book now (was Re: Calendar stuff)

Bruce Stephens writes:
 > OK.  Here's a complete entry synched using up to date cvs of
 > gnome-pilot (and gnome-pim, for that matter) as of about an hour ago:

Just to make sure, did you comple compile gnome-pim after
compiling/installing gnome-pilot? That's very important. Also make
sure that gnome-pim is not picking up older gnome-pilot
headers. E.g. if you installed gnome-pilot-devel.rpm with headers in
/usr/include and than did newer gnome-pilot from cvs with make install
to /usr/local/include.  you'll be screwed with possibly different
structure sizes... I'd remove the gnome-pilot rpms (and
gnome-pim-conduits) if you still have them and do clean build.

 > BEGIN:VCARD^M
 > FN:Foo Bar@h^M
 > N:Bar@P\xfe=0A=^M
 > ^H^P;Foo@@\x91^K^H^P^M
 > EMAIL;INTERNET:foo@baa@\x98q^M^H \xa7^L^H^M
 > TITLE:Dr[@(/^K^H^P^M
 > UID:6377487^M
 > END:VCARD^M

That looks completely broken.

 > This is for last name "Bar", first name "Foo", Title "Dr", e-mail
 > "foo@baa".  This is a cut and paste from vi, so I guess the ^H is
 > character 8, and \x indicates hex.
 >
 > Hmm.  Just tried changing the speed to 9600, removing Address.gcrd,
 > and synching again:
 >
 > BEGIN:VCARD^M
 > FN:Foo Bar^Hjv^M^Hvv^M^H@v^M^H@v^M^H ^M
 > N:Bar@\xf8^\[@0b^M^H\xb0b^M^H^X;Foo@\xe8^\[@^M
 > EMAIL;INTERNET:foo@baa^H\x82^G^O^H^M
 > TITLE:Dr[@\xe8^\[@^M
 > UID:6377487^M
 > END:VCARD^M

Asume your build is "clean", this definately looks like corruption
somewhere.  Especially since the results are different for different
speeds. I presume that there are no special charcters in the entry on
the pilot? Very strange. I'll try investigate if there are any memory
issues, but if you can think of any more details/info you can give me
let me know.

 > Hmm, could this be my failure to configure the serial port in any way?

Everything is possible, but I wouldn't rule out conduit problem quite
yet.

 > I sort of assumed that since installing files on the Palm worked fine,
 > and since the calendar synchronization works (now I know about the
 > gnome-calendar prodding that's required), that everything was OK.  But
 > perhaps not?  Does the protocol include any kind of checksum?
 >
 > The port is reported as follows:
 >
 > root# setserial -a /dev/pilot
 > /dev/pilot, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
 >         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
 >         closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinite
 >         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
 >
 > which looks OK to me.  (Looks the same as the modem's port, anyway.)

same as mine too...

 > [...]
 >
 > > Now I don't understand why you got empty records with control
 > > characters on Pilot. That definately shouldn't be happening. Is this
 > > easily reproducable? and if yes can you tell me what steps you did to
 > > get there.
 >
 > It would seem not: I just tried adding an entry in gcard, and nothing
 > extra appeared on the Palm.  If it happens again, I'll report it, but
 > perhaps it's just gone away with the updates, or something.

I hope so. there was a bug I fixed in CVS that could've possibly
caused something like this...

Thanks a lot,
-Vadim