Re: Address book now (was Re: Calendar stuff)

Vadim Strizhevsky <vadim@optonline.net> writes:

[...]

> My guess is, that this is the pesky "\n" problem that keeps buggin
> it. (or more acurately bugging me.) You have newlines in your
> entries right?

In *some* of the entries, yes.  Not in all of them (or in all that
cause problems).

> The latest CVS _should_ fix it, or at least behave better. But again
> I'm experimenting on how to best to handle "\n" so another iteration
> maybe necessary. gnomecard really doesn't deal with \n well.

OK.  =A0= is OK for \n.

> Folks, if you've been having problems with newlines or junk, can you
> please try cvs version of gnome-pim and report back the results?
> That would really help me out.

OK.  Here's a complete entry synched using up to date cvs of
gnome-pilot (and gnome-pim, for that matter) as of about an hour ago:

BEGIN:VCARD^M
FN:Foo Bar@h^M
N:Bar@P\xfe=0A=^M
^H^P;Foo@@\x91^K^H^P^M
EMAIL;INTERNET:foo@baa@\x98q^M^H \xa7^L^H^M
TITLE:Dr[@(/^K^H^P^M
UID:6377487^M
END:VCARD^M

This is for last name "Bar", first name "Foo", Title "Dr", e-mail
"foo@baa".  This is a cut and paste from vi, so I guess the ^H is
character 8, and \x indicates hex.

Hmm.  Just tried changing the speed to 9600, removing Address.gcrd,
and synching again:

BEGIN:VCARD^M
FN:Foo Bar^Hjv^M^Hvv^M^H@v^M^H@v^M^H ^M
N:Bar@\xf8^\[@0b^M^H\xb0b^M^H^X;Foo@\xe8^\[@^M
EMAIL;INTERNET:foo@baa^H\x82^G^O^H^M
TITLE:Dr[@\xe8^\[@^M
UID:6377487^M
END:VCARD^M

[...]

> Is there any other junk than "=A0=" ? If yes, please let me know what
> kind of junk it is (=A0= is a new line, and should be ok.)

See above!

Hmm, could this be my failure to configure the serial port in any way?
I sort of assumed that since installing files on the Palm worked fine,
and since the calendar synchronization works (now I know about the
gnome-calendar prodding that's required), that everything was OK.  But
perhaps not?  Does the protocol include any kind of checksum?

The port is reported as follows:

root# setserial -a /dev/pilot
/dev/pilot, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinite
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

which looks OK to me.  (Looks the same as the modem's port, anyway.)

[...]

> Now I don't understand why you got empty records with control
> characters on Pilot. That definately shouldn't be happening. Is this
> easily reproducable? and if yes can you tell me what steps you did to
> get there.

It would seem not: I just tried adding an entry in gcard, and nothing
extra appeared on the Palm.  If it happens again, I'll report it, but
perhaps it's just gone away with the updates, or something.

[...]