[Fwd: Re: here i come !]

Damn,

forgot to copy the list.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 08:37, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> mån 2002-06-24 klockan 05.30 skrev Bastien Nocera:
<snip>
> > * using ALSA ! OSS might be very good, but ALSA is the way to go, as it
> > would mean we wouldn't need a sound server if all apps needing sound
> > were to use native ALSA. A patch to libgnome, the correct versions of
> > most libraries/packages (like SDL for example) and we're done. It also
> > supports more soundcards than OSS/free
>
> Yes, we very much want ALSA. Can the Debian binary packages be
> configured to use ALSA instead of OSS or do we have to rebuild them with
> ALSA support?

Like Jeff said, here's esound for example:
libesd-alsa0 - Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared libraries
libesd0 - Enlightened Sound Daemon - Shared libraries

> > * A repository for "this-country-doesn't-have-sucky-patent-laws" with
> > things like lame, libdvdcss included, so that the user can get access to
> > these programs with a minimum of problems.
>
> Hmm .. I don't know about libdvdcss but for example hinting in freetype
> will be a problem since you are not allowed to ship binaries with it
> enabled.

Why aren't you allowed ? Patents ?

> > * A working automounter, and feedback for hotplug and such.
>
> Yeah, that is a must.
>
> > * use of devfs, murasaki for hotplug, choice between ext2 and ext3, etc.
> > (this might be a little too low-level for this discussion i must admit).
> The user should not be able to choose. Let's just use ext3 and be done
> with it :)

No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.

> > * Using the XST could make sense, for the boot-loader configuration for
> > example, as different archs will use different bootloaders.
>
> I think it would make sense for most of the things? I haven't looked at
> the Mac OSX tools for doing those kind of settings.

They're pretty straight forward on MacOS X, as you don't have multiple
kernels and such. just select either MacOS X or MacOS as the startup
disk, and it just works. We can make this "just" about as easy with
Debian by using kernel packages. The user would get the choice of the
kernel version, and that would be it.

> > If you're not already, you could subscribe to Apple's weekly developer
> > newsletter which shows you what can be done with their APIs. We won't
> > get as much integration, but it show how much the OS infrastucture
> > should help the developer.
>
> Ah, interesting, do you have a pointer to where I can subscribe?

Let me see...
http://developer.apple.com/devnews/previousnews.html seems to be what
you would want, so that Apple doesn't try to invit you to every single
convention ;)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera