Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

On 24 Jun 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

> No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.

This may be true on the macintosh, but as an x86 laptop user, I cannot see
any place for ext2 at all. On many (most?) laptops, the suspend/resume
functionality is so flaky that there's a good 20% chance it won't wake up,
and then you're stuck with the hour-long ext2 fs corruption.

And don't get me started on the video driver issue, the irda bugs,
the i810 sound driver, which all cause random lockups if you don't thread
_really_ carefully.

By the time we're anywhere near release-ready with this project, the
journal system will most likely have proper spin-down  code
(backported to 2.4 from 2.5) that removes the one final advantage ext2 has
over ext3. (There exist some 2.4 patches for this, but none that are
Good).

And, as a side note, if you bought an x86 laptop in the first place,
battery time cannot possibly have been on your list of priorities. They
are small furnaces!

Karl T