Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

mån 2002-06-24 klockan 13.40 skrev Bastien Nocera:
> Damn,
>
> forgot to copy the list.

hehe, I do that all the time :)

> Like Jeff said, here's esound for example:
> libesd-alsa0 - Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared libraries
> libesd0 - Enlightened Sound Daemon - Shared libraries

OK, great!

> Why aren't you allowed ? Patents ?

I think so.

> > > * use of devfs, murasaki for hotplug, choice between ext2 and ext3, etc.
> > > (this might be a little too low-level for this discussion i must admit).
> > The user should not be able to choose. Let's just use ext3 and be done
> > with it :)
>
> No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.

It's easy enough to ask, but not to answer :)
Also, using ext3 on a laptop surely has it's goods too.

> They're pretty straight forward on MacOS X, as you don't have multiple
> kernels and such. just select either MacOS X or MacOS as the startup
> disk, and it just works. We can make this "just" about as easy with
> Debian by using kernel packages. The user would get the choice of the
> kernel version, and that would be it.

Ah, you are referring to just the grub configuration?

> > > If you're not already, you could subscribe to Apple's weekly developer
> > > newsletter which shows you what can be done with their APIs. We won't
> > > get as much integration, but it show how much the OS infrastucture
> > > should help the developer.
> >
> > Ah, interesting, do you have a pointer to where I can subscribe?
>
> Let me see...
> http://developer.apple.com/devnews/previousnews.html seems to be what
> you would want, so that Apple doesn't try to invit you to every single
> convention ;)

Thanks,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/