hi

Well, I got invited to the party by Hallski, so here I am.
I think I'm going to follow the discussions a little bit to get to know
what the plans are.

Two comments on some of the threads that have been going on :

a) as to package format, I personally prefer RPM but realize that this is
mostly because of familiarity.  I could probably be swayed to debian
(since I realize that lots of people here will need to concede on this
point :)).  I'd have to be very convinced about the merits of another
system (like gentoo or derived versions).  And I'd have to be even MORE
convinced of a totally new.
In my opinion, anything that can be borrowed from an existing distribution
is a lot of work saved for us.  This is not just about the packaging
format, but also about the great number of packages already available for
us to customize on, and the amount of knowledge already in people re:
packaging issues.

The thing that would make me have doubts about debian however is the fact
that it's still very user-unfriendly, and the lack of a good GUI installer
has always been a problem for debian.  I'm not sure if that'll get solved
any time soon since it's already been so long coming.

As a side question : what archs are you planning to support ?

b) defining the userbase.

I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel, so I'd want to know personally
how this distribution would differ from other stuff out there to see the
bigger point.

In particular, where does it differ from :

* ximian
* elysium

So I'll just lay back and follow the discussions for a while.

Thomas

slips her dress like a fly to the floor
hands in the sky surrenders it all
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->