Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

<quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> > > * use of devfs, murasaki for hotplug, choice between ext2 and ext3, etc.
> > > (this might be a little too low-level for this discussion i must admit).
> > The user should not be able to choose. Let's just use ext3 and be done
> > with it :)
>
> No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.

Surely then, we could choose this based on the usage pattern, rather than
asking the user a strange, inexplicable question. *We* know the differences
and benefits, but explaining that to a user who doesn't even understand the
concept of 'filesystems' in a short paragraph would be nigh impossible. :-)

It's stuff like this that we need to pull our our Metacity-labelled baseball
bats and beat the crap out of.

- Jeff

--
   "I believe in true love. But I am easily satisfied." - Miguel de Icaza