Re: ARM/x86 builds for xdg-app runtimes

On tor, 2015-07-02 at 17:01 -0700, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
Hi all,

At the West Coast hackfest, we brought up the topic of building xdg
-app runtimes for other architectures; they're currently only built
for x86-64.

For x86 systems there should not be many additional requirements on
the hardware side, but for ARM builds we need machines to natively
build the runtimes on.
Some people mentioned they could possibly have machines to donate to
the cause; another possibility would be to get a slice on existing
builders that distributions like Fedora use for their ARM builds.
This brought up the question about where the xdg-app runtime builders
currently live, and whether there is any particular requirement on
the infrastructure. (For example, do all builders need to be in the
same location?)

They are done on build.gnome.org (same machine as gnome-continuos).
However, this is just because its a beefy machine we had available.
There is no particular reason that it has to be from there.

build.gnome.org it is also where we host the repo, so with a multi
-machine build it would need a bit more work to sync the result to a
single repo. I'm sure this is solvable though.

Another possibility that was brought up is using something like
Scratchbox2 and do cross-compilation for ARM on our existing
infrastructure. Does anyone have experience with that sort of setup?

Cross-building the entire sdk is going to be massive pain. Especially
the gobject-introspection related parts.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's an unconventional native American waffle chef from the Mississippi
delta. She's an artistic psychic Hell's Angel trying to make a difference
in a man's world. They fight crime!