Re: Gnome Office updates

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:47:39PM +1100, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:

> >> Unless Gnome Office is going to be ruthless on a 'advocate one app
> >> only  for each task', which is not something I would have thought we
> >> would  want to be doing.

It would be aq taad hypocritical of us to advocate along those lines
given that we're complaining about our apps being removed in favour
of OOo using the same logic.

> > I was mostly thinking that maybe we should wait a bit until they are
> > actually more distinct? At least I would be very confused if I saw two
> > projects looking and behaving the same, which one to use?
> >
> > Anyway, good to see someone finally digging into GNOME Office :)

Amen.
Thanks for getting involved and looking into updating the website.

> At some point we hope to have full SVG support within AbiWord and Gnumeric.
> Dom and Jody have some plans to use librsvg with some Gnumeric technology
> to print SVG images. We also want to be able render AbiWord and Gnumeric
> documents into SVG. In the past I thought this could be accomplished with
> a SVG backend for Gnome-Print.

I'm considering generalizing the chart rendering interface in
goffice and moving gnumeric itself to use that for export.  This
would give us svg, and raster formats, along with gnome-print and a
convenient way to migrate to cairo.  We'll see.

> However I don't know who the current maintainer of Gnome-Print is and what
> plans the person has for it.

That would be the gnumeric team now.  I've been meeting with dave
camp (gnome-cups) and will be making some changes there shortly.