Re: Common music database?

Also on a more practical side of this all and the enthusiasm aside, what should be presented to the user if he launches several players at once using this common, shared database?

"'Banshee' is currently holding the global lock on your shared music database. Please exit 'Banshee' in order to be able to start RhythmBox." ?

AFAIK you cannot open and manipulate the exact same database multiple times trough sqlite3; this is a situation that has thought about (even if we, i'm sorry, you, decide that this should be the case [that the user can't run multiple players at once]).

-- Milosz

PS: The fact that this is an un_likely_ situation doesn't matter (the fact that something is merely un_likely_, but not impossible doesn't matter in software engineering anyway), it's possible and does constitute a potential problem.

On 3/14/06, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
On 3/13/06, Aaron Bockover <abockover novell com> wrote:

> I'm not saying it should work right out of the box or anyone would need
> to do any active development on some other platform up front, but while
> the library is being designed and written, it should be done in such a
> way that porting is straight forward and simple.

Okay, that I agree with, once someone needs it, they can port it and
it will be simple to port. I was worried you were wanting to make it
compilable on Windows/OSX with no effort required from the get-go,
which I think is a waste of developers resources (especially now where
none of our rad programs even use it (as "it" is still a nebulous
concept up for discussion))

Don't worry, I'll keep quiet now.

iain