Re: Common music database?

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:27 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Iain *">
>
> > On 3/13/06, Aaron Bockover <abockover novell com> wrote:
> >
> > > f) Must be portable, should be written in C; by portable I mean...
> > > Windows, OS X, other Unixes.
> >
> > While I'm not against it being deliberatly portable to Windows or OSX, can
> > I ask why you think this is such an essential element?
> >
> > Is it really likely that we'll get the big 3 (itunes, windows media
> > player,winamp) to use it
>
> ... more about running our rad apps on Windows to sway people towards Linux.

Precisely ... total portability is not difficult, especially given the
technical considerations of a project like this, not to mention the fact
that no actual development has been done yet.

So a better question might be "Is there any reason not to make it
portable?"

I personally would like to see it work on other platforms as we will be
porting Banshee, F-Spot, and other apps to Windows and OS X for show.
It's functional marketing for GNOME (and Mono in these cases).

I'm not saying it should work right out of the box or anyone would need
to do any active development on some other platform up front, but while
the library is being designed and written, it should be done in such a
way that porting is straight forward and simple.

--Aaron