Re: Common music database?

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 10:05 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Of course another solution in the common case where the music store is
> writable would be to write this metadata into the files themselves.  It
> would probably be a good idea to make this optional (in the case of a
> shared store) but all of that metadata could be added to the files, and
> a music database would simply be a rapid access cache of the underlying
> data.

In my opinion this is ideal, because then the metadata can be easily
copied around (simply by copying the file), and indexers like Beagle can
look in just one location to extract this content.  Once you start
having different databases all over the place, it becomes tricky to make
sure you have all the right and most up-to-date information.

Joe