Re: suggestion: unified media player control panel applet

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 12:58 -0400, sjoeboo wrote:

>   yes. I'm not a UI/HIG expert, but i would imagine it would be fairly
> difficult/clumsy to write an applet/control, that would distingish which
> media player is acctually doing something, and sent signals/messages to
> that individual player.  god forbid someone is playing a movie muted
> with music playing, it wouldn't know what app to control. then you have

I was thinking about this particular problem on the toilet this
morning :). I think the best thing would be either:

only ever control audio players - never touch movie players
only control a movie player if no other media player is running

this is based on bastien's (I think) point that remote controlling video
players is not likely to be useful very often, because when you're
playing a video, you're probably watching it, so you have the primary
controls right there in front of you. I can't think of a particularly
likely scenario where this doesn't apply, so obviously audio players
should take priority.

As for the scenario where two audio players are running simultaneously,
I suppose you'd have to think about use cases and tweak it, but off the
top of my head:

if both apps are playing and the user hits play / pause, he probably
wants to pause both (and vice versa)

other controls should probably apply to the _last_ player the user
interacted with directly.

anyone else thought about this? what does the multimedia keys system do?
--
adamw