Re: dynamic applets (was: Re: suggestion: unified media player control panel applet)

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 22:08 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Montag, den 12.09.2005, 17:20 -0700 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> > the notification area is meant for notification, not app interaction
>
> I totally agree here. However, the current situation is that we still
> have no dynamic applets, i.e. applets that load/unload as you need them,
> like those for controlling the ethernet, or controlling music players.
> People simply abuse the notification area, but without a proper
> framework (Davyd pointed out some ideas at GUADEC) people will have
> applets in the panels that are only used 10% of the time.

Personally I'd still prefer a static panel applet (that I can add,
remove and move around at will) to a notification area icon that's only
there when the app runs, but which I can't move or disable. But yeah, a
dynamic applet would obviously be the best thing.
--
adamw