Re: [gnome-mud] G-M glade branch

Hi Robin, it's great to hear from you!

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 05:49:23PM +0100, Robin Ericsson wrote:
> >Well, this is a good stance in how the future should be, should we
> >release 0.11 based on 0.10 (HEAD branch) which actually work, which the
> >glade branch is far from doing. I haven't looked at either code for some
> >time now, and maybe the best would be to sit down and have a look at
> >current problems, get them on a list together with "wanna have" stuff
> >and then we make a decision, either use glade branch, or we don't :)
> >
> >Most issues in bugzilla, 3 bugs and 5 enhancements is a pretty good
> >start I guess.
>
> Both Jordi and Daniel seemed to have read my mind about using a wiki for
> this type of list and created one over at live.gnome.org [1]

Yeah, Daniels is trying to get this project moving again. Hopefully :)

> I filled in some more from bugzilla and added most from the ROADMAP-fil
> in CVS. Maybe we can get this ball running again.
>
> Ideas:
> Fix a few crucial bugs and release 0.11.0, then try to release more
> often where minor version (0.12.0, 0.13.0, etc) consists of new features
> and patch-versions (0.11.1, 0.12.1, etc) consists of bugfixes only.
>
> That should make the development look faster and maybe attract more
> users. Also, being less then version 1 maybe also make users look at
> another client, so maybe we should try to decide what should go into
> 1.0.0 release?

I think we also have some stuff to apply to the current HEAD branch that
could be released as a final 0.10 release.

Someone should go over the list archives for the last months and see if
there's any patch that we should have in there. For example, we had this
patch to make gnome-mud working in Chinese, but it was a bit scary, and
looked like it would break other things.

Hopefully someone more clued can have a look and do something. There are
probably 2 or 3 different mapper-related patches floating around.

Regarding 0.11: well, right now it's basically unusable. As far as I
know you can't even connect reliably to muds, right? There have been a
few libgnetwork releases. Dunno if they help at all with that.
If it can be brought to a minimally usable state that can be released, I
think that could bring some momentum. Right now, everyone who comes into
IRC and asks about the project being dead is directed to the glade
branch and that's the last thing you know about them.

Sorry I have no time to have a look at things, I'm overly busy these
days with other stuff. :(
jordi sindominio net     jordi debian org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/