Re: How do I disable Google search in Activities view?

On 12 March 2014 15:28, Patrick Chkoreff <pc loom cc> wrote:
Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote, On 03/12/2014 10:49 AM:

Thanks, however, I just now brought up System Settings, and I do not see
an option named "Search".

It was added at some point since the version that you're using.
Essentially, that panel lets you customise which search providers are
on and which are off, and even lets you switch it completely off.

Just last week I installed Debian completely fresh on this machine.
Surely the Search option wasn't added just in the last week.  How do I
upgrade my Gnome shell to the version you're using?  (I may not do it,
but I'm wondering how, just in case.)

Stable Debian is currently on 3.4, unstable Debian is on 3.8 and the
GNOME stable release which is happening in a week and a half is 3.12.
That is to say, that the "stable" Debian ships with a two year old
version of GNOME. You can try using the unstable Debian (which I hear
is actually pretty stable in terms of usage).

It's probably relatively difficult to use the same version of GNOME as
I'm using (3.10) from Debian, but I don't know how to do it as I
haven't used Debian in years.

The UI for disabling search providers was in GNOME by 3.8. It is also
possible that what you had were extensions:
http://extensions.gnome.org/

Thanks!

-- Patrick