Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Sun, 2013-02-17 at 17:58 +0530, Ravi Kumar wrote:
To create a launcher: Create a *.desktop file (add it
to /usr/share/applications/ to launch it in the overview
(Activities)):
        # example
        [Desktop Entry]
        Encoding=UTF-8
        Version=1.0
        Type=Application
        Terminal=false
        Exec=$HOME/MyApp
        Name=My Application
        Icon=$HOME/Icons/MyIcon.png
How this is simple? Can a normal user do it?\

WHY would a normal user do it?  If a normal user wants to then there is
a packaging problem.

I have to do this for *ONE* application I use ... which is an
application no normal user would use.

Can most of people remember what attributes to set in desktop files
without taking reference from internet or other desktop files.

No.  I am not a normal user - and I cannot remember.

I can create shortcuts without much pain, still I would prefer to use
UI which can make task easier for

Ok - but WHAT are you doing?  WHY are you making these shortcuts all the
time?  I suspect you aren't using the tools that make it completely
unnecessary to do that.  If you have to create all these shortcuts then
your working environment has already failed you.

And I am *assuming* you are creating shortcuts to *documents*.  If you
are creating *launchers* to applications... then something in your
installation is borked.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383