Re: What is the "Gnome Settings Daemon"?

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 21:24 -0400, Jim Hartley wrote:
> Well, that was NOT helpful!!! "which" didn't find it. I tried the alt-F2
> thing, it started something, but it killed SeaMonkey, and left the
> system very unresponsive - had to play around to get things back to
> normal (ctl-alt-F2, login, back to ctl-alt-F7, then exit from the
> ctl-alt-F2 session) and manually restart SeaMonkey.

Check if system has been updated to the latest build

	$ yum update

> I seem to recall there is a script or something, somewhere in /etc, that
> refers to the gnome-settings-daemon, I tried to comment that out just to
> get rid of the error message but no luck.
gnome-setting-daemon is started by gnome-session, afaik.

> What are "gtk themes"? I have no idea whether they are running, a lot of
> this stuff is new. I just recently bought a new computer and upgraded
> from my old RedHat 7.0/Gnome 1.x box, so I am kind of clueless on a lot
> of the new stuff. But now that I think about it, I DID have to go into
> the manual startup list and add a few things, like the screensaver
> wouldn't work until I did that.
Does this affect all users on system. or only a particular user ?

> And WHY would something like FC6 have an unstable Gnome anyway????
This should not be happening .

> Jim Hartley
>
> Daniel Kasak wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 09:39 -0400, Jim Hartley wrote:
> >

> >> I am running a Fedora Core 6 system with the Gnome desktop. Every time I
> >> boot the machine, I get an error message that the Gnome Settings Daemon
> >> could not be run, and it tells me I may have trouble with some of my
> >> desktop settings. Other than having to deal with the window for this
> >> message, everything seems to work OK.
What is the exact error message printed on screen ?

> > It means you're running an unstable version of gnome :( I started
> > getting this error on ALL our systems when upgrading to 2.16.something
> > from 2.14.something.
FC6 uses Gnome 2.16.x series and is supposed to be a stable build .

> >> How can I either:
> >>     1. Get the Gnome Settings Daemon to run
> >>

> > Hold down ALT and hit F2, and type:
> > /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
> >
> > That's the path on my system. It may be different on yours. You can try
> > ( in a terminal ):
> > which gnome-settings-daemon
> >
> > to try to find it.
> >

> >> or:
> >>     2. Get it to stop trying so I don't get the stupid error message
> >>

> > That's a damned good question. I'm all ears.
> >

> >> Since I am not apparently having any problems, either solution is
> >> acceptable. Thanks in advance for any help.
> >>

> > Your gtk themes and possibly other things won't work properly without
> > it.
gtk theme implies how you application looks like.