What is the "Gnome Settings Daemon"?

I am running a Fedora Core 6 system with the Gnome desktop. Every time I boot the machine, I get an error message that the Gnome Settings Daemon could not be run, and it tells me I may have trouble with some of my desktop settings. Other than having to deal with the window for this message, everything seems to work OK.

How can I either:
   1. Get the Gnome Settings Daemon to run
or:
   2. Get it to stop trying so I don't get the stupid error message

Since I am not apparently having any problems, either solution is acceptable. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim H