Re: What is the "Gnome Settings Daemon"?

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 09:39 -0400, Jim Hartley wrote:

> I am running a Fedora Core 6 system with the Gnome desktop. Every time I
> boot the machine, I get an error message that the Gnome Settings Daemon
> could not be run, and it tells me I may have trouble with some of my
> desktop settings. Other than having to deal with the window for this
> message, everything seems to work OK.

It means you're running an unstable version of gnome :( I started
getting this error on ALL our systems when upgrading to 2.16.something
from 2.14.something.

> How can I either:
>     1. Get the Gnome Settings Daemon to run

Hold down ALT and hit F2, and type:
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

That's the path on my system. It may be different on yours. You can try
( in a terminal ):
which gnome-settings-daemon

to try to find it.

> or:
>     2. Get it to stop trying so I don't get the stupid error message

That's a damned good question. I'm all ears.

> Since I am not apparently having any problems, either solution is
> acceptable. Thanks in advance for any help.

Your gtk themes and possibly other things won't work properly without
it.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer