Re: What is the "Gnome Settings Daemon"?

Well, that was NOT helpful!!! "which" didn't find it. I tried the alt-F2 thing, it started something, but it killed SeaMonkey, and left the system very unresponsive - had to play around to get things back to normal (ctl-alt-F2, login, back to ctl-alt-F7, then exit from the ctl-alt-F2 session) and manually restart SeaMonkey.

I seem to recall there is a script or something, somewhere in /etc, that refers to the gnome-settings-daemon, I tried to comment that out just to get rid of the error message but no luck.

What are "gtk themes"? I have no idea whether they are running, a lot of this stuff is new. I just recently bought a new computer and upgraded from my old RedHat 7.0/Gnome 1.x box, so I am kind of clueless on a lot of the new stuff. But now that I think about it, I DID have to go into the manual startup list and add a few things, like the screensaver wouldn't work until I did that.

And WHY would something like FC6 have an unstable Gnome anyway????

Jim Hartley