Re: Make GNOME aware of custom URI Scheme

Shaun McCance <shaunm <at> gnome.org> writes:

> Registering a URI scheme is one thing.  When you register a
> URI scheme, you're telling Gnome what program to launch when
> a URI of that form is encountered.  And it seems you've done
> that successfully.  But you can't just send a URI to a program
> that doesn't understand that kind of URI.  That's sort of like
> expecting an image viewer to grok some new image format you've
> just made up.
>
> --
> Shaun

And there in layed (lied?) my confusion.  Really, all I want to do is
have a program display an HTML file off the local file system using
an implicit path, like an alias.  So
file:///long_hardcoded_path_that_may_change/myhelp.html
gets aliased to idoc:myhelp.

But I think I understand your point: that the usefulness of aliasing
a URI scheme is very limited and a new URI scheme must be expected to
represent a new behavior.  And this gets back to the whole argument
against using proprietary schemes - with which I agree.  I'll
set up a well-known frontpage hyperlinking all the internal doc pages.

Thanks for responding.  I really like using yelp!

Dave