Re: Make GNOME aware of custom URI Scheme

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 13:00 +0000, David Turvene wrote:
> Shaun McCance <shaunm <at> gnome.org> writes:
> > > How do I set up GNOME to recognize a proprietary scheme? I searched
> > > through the GNOME archives and found a number of tangential references
> > > to this - some getting pretty wacky - but no recipe.
> >
> > I don't understand.  Are you sending the idoc URIs to
> > gnome-help (i.e. yelp)?  It seems that you have managed
> > to introduce the URI scheme to GNOME in general, as the
> > program you've specified is being called for those URIs.
> >
> > The program you're sending the URIs to simply doesn't
> > understand those URIs.  How are you expecting that to
> > work?
>
> I'm looking for a way register a new URI Scheme via config file
> like adding a new appl or menu.  I saw C API references to,
> for instance, supported_uri_schemes in VFS and Mimetype Handling,
> but no config file support.  There are a number of references to
> scrollkeeper for doing something similiar.
>
> Is the list of recognized URI Schemes hardcoded into yelp, or the GNOME
> libraries?  I'm just looking for a way for yelp to say, "Yes, I recognize
> this as a valid URI scheme."

But Yelp has to understand the URI scheme.  That means it has
to parse it and do something useful with it.  It can't just
magically guess what each part of the URI means.  Somebody
has to write code to make Yelp do that.

Registering a URI scheme is one thing.  When you register a
URI scheme, you're telling Gnome what program to launch when
a URI of that form is encountered.  And it seems you've done
that successfully.  But you can't just send a URI to a program
that doesn't understand that kind of URI.  That's sort of like
expecting an image viewer to grok some new image format you've
just made up.

--
Shaun