Make GNOME aware of custom URI Scheme

Greetings -

I am trying to add a custom URI Scheme, "idoc:<label>" for internal use
on our Fedora/Firefox/GNOME based computers.  I have added a url-handler
definition to GNOME using "gconftool-2" with a command calling
gnome-helper.  Based on my research, I recognize proprietary URI schemes
are a "bad thing", but it solves my requirements for an internal
feature.

What happens is gnome-helper doesn't seem to recognize that "idoc:" is a
URI scheme, so it keeps calling something in the GNOME API to resolve
it, which in turn calls gnome-helper.  I get a very quick burst of
gnome-helper windows before killing the X session.

So I wrapped the call to gnome-helper inside a script which removes the
"idoc:" scheme before passing the <label> to gnome-helper.  This works
fine.  However, in researching the problem I see that "doc:", "info:",
"ghelp:", etc. are recognized schemes and handled as such by
gnome-helper.  GNOME is a really nice environment, so it bothers me when
I have to circumvent it.

How do I set up GNOME to recognize a proprietary scheme? I searched
through the GNOME archives and found a number of tangential references
to this - some getting pretty wacky - but no recipe.

Dave Turvene