Re: Gnome is very slow

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Rouch" <crouch pobox com>
To: <gnome-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:09
Subject: Re: Gnome is very slow

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:35:37 -0600
> "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13 wiredok com> wrote:

Issued 'ssh localhost uptime' as me.  From terminal in KDE & gnome.
ssh: Connect to localhost port 22.  Connection refused
Issued 'ssh localhost uptime' as su (root).
ssh: Connect to localhost port 22.  Connection refused
In all cases response was instant.  Refusal  could be due to High Security
setting.

> 2) df
> If this hangs then you have nfs/automounter problems. If it finishes
> quickly then you don't. Check that none of your partitions are close
> to 100% full

Issued df
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
Size 65G, Used 6.5G, Avail 59G, Use 10%, Mounted on /
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
Size 47G, Used 11G, Avail 36G, Use 23%, Mounted on /mnt/windows

> 3) uptime
> Make sure that the 3 load average numbers are all less than 1. If
> they're not, wait 5 minutes and do it again. If they're still too big
> then you probably have some rogue processes.

Only results are from top.

> 4) look at .gnomerc-errors and .xsession-errors. Maybe there is somthing
> nasty showing up there.

See bottom comments.

> 5) look at the output of top. Are there processes hogging the cpu? Are
> you nearly out of memory or swap space?

top
Tasks 91 total 1 running 90 sleeping 0 stopped 0 zombie
cpu 2.3%, User 1.7%, System 0.0%, Nice 0.0%, Idle 97.3%.
mem 514132K total, 261980K used, 252152K free, 22456 Buffers.
Swap 530104K, 0K used, 530104K free, 182808 cached

> Finally, is it just nautilus that is slow or does the whole system seem
> sluggish? I haven't used nautilus for a long time, but one of the
> reasons I stopped was because it was too slow. This was several versions
> ago though (gnome 2.0 I think).

I could not locate .gnomere-errors. .xsession-errors I intended to attach,
however I was unable to transfer to either floppy or to a CD.  There were
two warnings listed both repeated a number of times.  As follows: