Re: Gnome is very slow

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 05:09:43PM -0600 or thereabouts, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

> > I don't think strace is going to help, but here are some things you can
> > try:
> > 1) ssh localhost uptime
> > This will either prompt you for a password or complain that it can't
> > connect to a sshd. In either case, the response should be very quick -
> > if it takes 30 seconds or so the the problem is with the network.
>
> Issued 'ssh localhost uptime' as me.  From terminal in KDE & gnome.
> ssh: Connect to localhost port 22.  Connection refused
> Issued 'ssh localhost uptime' as su (root).
> ssh: Connect to localhost port 22.  Connection refused
> In all cases response was instant.  Refusal  could be due to High Security
> setting.

Sounds more like you don't have sshd running. "ps aux | grep sshd"
will tell you if you have it running or not: if the only line
that comes back is the grep, then it's not running. You're looking
for something like this instead:

$ ps aux | grep sshd
root      2668  0.0  0.1  4940  620 ?        S    Jan20   0:11 /usr/sbin/sshd
hobbit   12821  0.0  0.1  5188  560 pts/8    S    09:36   0:00 grep sshd

(ssh is the client; sshd is the daemon which means it will accept
ssh connections)

> > 3) uptime
>
> Only results are from top.

You can just type "uptime", incidentally.

> I could not locate .gnomere-errors. .xsession-errors I intended to attach,
> however I was unable to transfer to either floppy or to a CD.  There were
> two warnings listed both repeated a number of times.  As follows:
> >From (gnome terminal: 3751):
> Warning **: No handler for control sewujence 'device-control-string' defined
> (this was repeater a number of times)>20
> Warning **: Attempt to set invalid NRC map I(repeated 2 times)
> Warning **:[invalid UTYF-8] invalid NRC map I (1 time)
> Warning **: Attempt to set invalid  NRC map I (1 time)
> I dont know what happened to k3b it worked previously.

Many of the Gnome and Gtk programs are very chatty: they will
record a lot of information. As a general rule, warnings are
not important unless you're a hacker trying to tidy things up.
Errors are more important, and "critical" tends to mean "can't
even run".

Telsa