Re: Gnome is very slow

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Rouch" <crouch pobox com>
To: <gnome-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:09
Subject: Re: Gnome is very slow

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:35:37 -0600
> "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13 wiredok com> wrote:

I will do this this afternoon.

> This will either prompt you for a password or complain that it can't
> connect to a sshd. In either case, the response should be very quick -
> if it takes 30 seconds or so the the problem is with the network.
>
> 2) df
> If this hangs then you have nfs/automounter problems. If it finishes
> quickly then you don't. Check that none of your partitions are close
> to 100% full

df works fine there are only a few partitions and the disk is only 10% used.

> 3) uptime
> Make sure that the 3 load average numbers are all less than 1. If
> they're not, wait 5 minutes and do it again. If they're still too big
> then you probably have some rogue processes.

I will recheck this this afternoon but load levels are usually almost
nonexistant.

> 4) look at .gnomerc-errors and .xsession-errors. Maybe there is somthing
> nasty showing up there.

There is a lot in .xsession-errors but I dont understand it.

> 5) look at the output of top. Are there processes hogging the cpu? Are
> you nearly out of memory or swap space?

No! memory is mostly catch and I havent caught swap being used yet.

> Finally, is it just nautilus that is slow or does the whole system seem
> sluggish? I haven't used nautilus for a long time, but one of the
> reasons I stopped was because it was too slow. This was several versions

Nautilus is OK untill I click on an icon it then takes forever 30sec to 1min
before anything happens.

> ago though (gnome 2.0 I think).
>
> HTH,

I hope these comments give you a clue.  I'll get back with the other stuff
later today.

Regards;
Hoyt