Re: Gnome is very slow

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13 wiredok com>
To: "gnome-list" <gnome-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 16:34
Subject: Gnome is very slow

> I have posted a simular problem before and while the problem seemed to go
> away, I later went into nautilus and attempted to configure the system,
> within nautilus the problem was still present.  However the desktop was
> working otherwise.  The problem was and is 30 second and longer delays
from
> clicking on an item untill it executes or even responds.
> I am back because I finally found mcc and configured things there,  no
> network or servers were touched.  I did switch window managers from
> metrocity(sp) to gdm.  At the time it didnt seem to switch because it
> complained about another manager running, on subsequent login however gdm
> was running and everything had 30sec or longer delays.  This makes gnome
> unusable.
> I dont know where the problem is but I suspect it may be in X. But KDE
> dosent exibit any such behaviour so that should mean that X is ok.

*********UPDATE*******
Apparantly it isnt a network problem,  because I can ping localhost and get
satasfactory response 0 errors @0.26 to 0.29ms and hostname returns
localhost.  Another suggestion was made earlier to try strace.  Well I tried
and I dont know how to involke strace 'strace -Tcf /tmp/strace.o' wasnt
adequate niether was 'strace -Tcfo /tmp/strace'.  Therefore if you would
like to see the output I need a workable command.  The man page indicates
that the output can be limited,  this might be a good idea but 2 minutes is
a long time @ 1.7Ghz.

Regards;
Hoyt