Re: Gnome is very slow

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:35:37 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13 wiredok com> wrote:

> [...]

I don't think strace is going to help, but here are some things you can
try:

1) ssh localhost uptime

This will either prompt you for a password or complain that it can't
connect to a sshd. In either case, the response should be very quick -
if it takes 30 seconds or so the the problem is with the network.

2) df
If this hangs then you have nfs/automounter problems. If it finishes
quickly then you don't. Check that none of your partitions are close
to 100% full

3) uptime
Make sure that the 3 load average numbers are all less than 1. If
they're not, wait 5 minutes and do it again. If they're still too big
then you probably have some rogue processes.

4) look at .gnomerc-errors and .xsession-errors. Maybe there is somthing
nasty showing up there.

5) look at the output of top. Are there processes hogging the cpu? Are
you nearly out of memory or swap space?

Finally, is it just nautilus that is slow or does the whole system seem
sluggish? I haven't used nautilus for a long time, but one of the
reasons I stopped was because it was too slow. This was several versions
ago though (gnome 2.0 I think).

HTH,

Chris
Chris Rouch