Re: Disable close button on gnome-terminal

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 19:22 -0300, Daniel F Moisset wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:42, tom wrote:
> > I do not contribute to this list or this project as much I would like, so I
> > usually sit on my hands. I have been using Gnome as my sole desktop for couple
> > of years now.
> >
> > Please, do not make me confirm that I really want to close the terminal every
> > time. Yes, I do sometimes shoot myself in the foot, that reinforces in me the
> > need to be more careful.
> >
> > If I lose this argument, at least tie the confirmation to the close button. If
> > I type "exit", take me at my word.
>
> Yes, I agree completely.

If you type ‘exit’ into a shell, the tab will close if the shell is in a
tab, and the window will close if that was the only tab in the window.

> What I think would be necessary is just adding an option (may be hidden
> in gconf)to handle delete_event with a dialog. If the application
> (shell) inside the terminal exists, the current behavior (close or
> restart) should be kept.

There is a hidden pref
at /apps/gnome-terminal/global/confirm_window_close which disables the
confirmation dialog.

> Perhaps a smarter check could be done... assuming the terminal is
> running a shell, is normally safe to close it when the shell has no
> child processes.
>
> If running something that is not a shell, the situation is different;
> for example a Profile which runs pine should not be allowed to be closed
> without confirmation (unless the app exits by itself, obviously).
>
> I think a good solution would be having an option:
> - Process in terminal is a shell
> - Process in terminal is an application
> - Process in terminal is not important :)
>
> In the first case, close from WM or menu should request confirmation
> only if the shell has child processes. In the second case, always. In
> the third case, never.
>
> If you like that proposal, I'll file it as a bug in bugzilla.

This is basically undoable, as there is no way to ask processes if they
are in a discardable state or not (and no amount of
freedesktopy-spec-writing will 'fix' all the apps out there if a way to
do this were devised)

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano