Re: Disable close button on gnome-terminal

Daniel,

I like this...  Thanks

Tom Lamm

On 12/07/04 16:22:04, Daniel F Moisset wrote:
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:42, tom wrote:
> I do not contribute to this list or this project as much I would like, so I

> usually sit on my hands. I have been using Gnome as my sole desktop for
couple
> of years now.
>
> Please, do not make me confirm that I really want to close the terminal
every
> time. Yes, I do sometimes shoot myself in the foot, that reinforces in me
the
> need to be more careful.
>
> If I lose this argument, at least tie the confirmation to the close button.
If
> I type "exit", take me at my word.

Yes, I agree completely.

What I think would be necessary is just adding an option (may be hidden
in gconf)to handle delete_event with a dialog. If the application
(shell) inside the terminal exists, the current behavior (close or
restart) should be kept.

Perhaps a smarter check could be done... assuming the terminal is
running a shell, is normally safe to close it when the shell has no
child processes.

If running something that is not a shell, the situation is different;
for example a Profile which runs pine should not be allowed to be closed
without confirmation (unless the app exits by itself, obviously).

I think a good solution would be having an option:
- Process in terminal is a shell
- Process in terminal is an application
- Process in terminal is not important :)

In the first case, close from WM or menu should request confirmation
only if the shell has child processes. In the second case, always. In
the third case, never.

If you like that proposal, I'll file it as a bug in bugzilla.

	Daniel

> Thanks,
>
> Tom Lamm
>

> On 12/07/04 05:13:13, Julien Olivier wrote:
> >
> > > This confirmation dialog exists since 2.8.
> >
> > On gnome-terminal 2.9.2, I get this message only if the terminal had at
> > least two open tabs. I think what he wants is to have this dialog even
> > if you only have one tab opened.
> >
> > --
> > Julien Olivier <julo altern org>

Must it be assumed that because we are engineers beauty is not our concern,
and that while we make our constructions robust and durable we do not also
strive to make them elegant?
Is it not true that the genuine conditions of strength always comply
with the secret conditions of harmony?
    -- Gustave Eiffel, 1887