Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 20:45, Henry Katz wrote:
> > Sawfish vs. gnome-terminal.  From other odd symptoms (notably, my 262x7
> > console messages terminal sometimes opening really HUGE), I think some
> > gnome-terminal windows get their sizes saved in pixels and restored in
> > characters, or vice versa.  On a slower system I can even see the
> > windows open at the correct size, then when sawfish starts up it resizes
> > them to the weird size (sometimes with some flickering between the two);
>
> Hmmm--- this sounds like sloppy coding practice. I wish I had a free cycle -
> don't we all ;-)

Actually, it's more to do with the freakish way some settings belong to
the application, some to the session manager, and some to the window
manager, and the nasty synchronization issues that result.

(Could this be solved by having gconfd pass appropriate settings to the
session mgr and/or window mgr, thus reducing the problem from "all apps
must deal with nasty synchronization issues" to "gconfd must deal with
synchronization"?)

> > I'd be suspicious of the memory size difference here:  GNOME is rather
> > memory-hungry, and certainly on my laptop the difference in startup
> > times between 128M, 384M, and 512M is dramatic.  The extra 192MB might
> > conceivably make gnome-session save the (incomplete) session and shut
> > down faster than the panel initializes....
>
> Is gnome 2 better or worse with memory?

Don't know; since I run Ximian's 1.4 on Solaris and 1.4 from /usr/ports
on FreeBSD, I haven't seen GNOME 2 in action at all yet.

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux][solaris][japh][freebsd]
allbery kf8nh apk net