Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

I've been playing around trying to do useful work in a Gnome environment
for several years now.

I'm presently building a debian "woody" machine as a replacement for a HP-IX
box that has been my primary workstation for 8+ years. I ran Vue on it, and
it has _NEVER_ crashed or lost my configs. Also all of it's configs are
stored in ASCII files, so it's easy to clone/backup my user environment.

I had finally gotten a decent working environment on the Debian machine,
after a week or 2 of tweaking. Last night as I logged out, I got the dreaded
Gnome pop up errors :-( Needless to say when I logged on this morning my
environment was TOTALLY trashed, not panels all!

I've seen this failure in various flavors of Gnome for longer that I care
to remember.

Will Gnome _EVER_ become a stable environment to try to do productive work
in, That is one that I don't have to spend hours rebuilding on a regular
basis?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin