Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:07:09AM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:42:26PM -0500, stan wrote:

> > > You've seen this before? So I'll assume that you've filed bug reports,
> > > and followed up with the hackers to help diagnose the problem. That's
> > > certainly a key part of the way free software works, with users
> > > serving as a necessary part of the team by carefully reporting their
> > > problems so the hackers can help diagnose and fix them. My experience
> > > in reporting bugs has been phenomenal - these people like to fix 'em
> > > if they know about 'em.
> >
> > The only time I do that, is when I can offer enough details to provide
> > a reproducable problme. Saying "My system broke" is not a useful bug
> > report.
> >
> > My point is that Gnome 1.4 (the stable version) should be beyond this
> > type of behavior. If I were runing 2.0 that would be a different mater
> > entirly.
> >
> > But i have choosen to run the "stable" version in order to actually
> > get work done.
> >
> BTW, for those of you who mailed asying "Why Gnome never crashes for me"
> I'ts crashed 3 times tonite. All occur when loging out, and there is a error
> popup thta pops up fo a fraction of a secons each time/ One of it's choices
> "wait for applet", and I maanged to actually get it clicked within that
> fraction of a second. Didn't help, when I loged back in all traces of panels
> were gone :-(
>
> Sorrym but this is the exact same behavior that cused me to decide that Gnome
> was not ready for real users about 3 years ago.
>
> Any sugestiosn as to how to get enough informatioon to submit a _useful_ bug
> report on this?

Followup to this (after a 3 hour restore from tape in the middle of the
night).

I can relaibly reproduce this crash now. Details folow.

Machine 1.2GHZ Athalon 750M memory
Gnome woody .debs

Login in using gdm. Log right back out (within say 30 seconds).
The WILL trash your panels.

Hope that helps.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin