Re: Gnome2: Why UI change? ( or why a Gnome user since 1.0 is con templating leaving)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:30:54AM -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> With Gnome 2 they are switching to:
>
>               No     Yes

There should be no Yes/No in GNOME 2 (or any other UI for that matter).
(And if that's changed since I quit the HIG, . . . )

> Thus they are reversing the order of the dialog box buttons, which
> means for anyone other than a Mac user the odds of clicking on the
> wrong button have increased, and likely by a fair bit when you
> consider that most people on Linux are using a mix of Motif/KDE/Gnome
> apps.

The debate over this raged on for a while and you can find it in
the archives of various lists at http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ .

> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/hig-0.1/windows.html

I suggest tracking the CVS HIG instead.
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/

> Sun (Java Swing), look at order of command button row in picture:
> http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/HIG.Dialogs2.html

There is, in my opinion and I'm no longer working on the HIG, only one
kind of argument will change the order of the buttons. And no argument
could be made to support the Windows-style; the only way that will pass
is by imperative from on high. The mirror image of the order and placement
now recommeneded is the only possible rational alternative.
I.e.,
  ->| [ OK ] [ Cancel ]                  |<-