Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome.

Slow down son, no need to be hostile.

Look Nautilus has support for mounting and un-mounting floppy disks and
CD-ROM's, a kernel function to be sure BUT it is also a UI function.  If
it wasn't Eazel would never have added those menu's.

I agree it's a sticky problem.  The thing is, can we come up with a
solution that will allow the users that don't really want to know about
mounting to use the system without frustration.  This is where our
ingenuity can kick in.  There has to be a better solution than what
we've got at the moment.

The only thing I can think of right now is this:
Add to the GTK+ file dialog a function that checks the path for
/mnt/floppy.  If that is where a write or read is going to come from
then tell the user that the disk needs to be mounted.

This solution is just a simple communication issue with the user.  They
still have to take some action but at least the computer and the UI is
leading them through it.

Sure it's not 100% but at least we connect with the user.  Wasn't that
the whole thrust behind the SUN usability paper?  It's the user that
matters.