Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome.

On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 04:46, George Farris wrote:
> Lets step back here a second.  Yes technically it is a kernel issue.
> Technically!!

And thus, the only way to solve it is technically.  In the kernel.

> But...it is also a GNOME issue.  It is a user interface issue.  Lets
> look at this:
>
> User creates document in GNOME environment.
> User goes to save file to floppy.
> What should the UI (yes GNOME) be telling the user if the floppy isn't
> mounted?  Something? Nothing?  Should we let the user crash and burn?

What does it do now?  Tell them they can't write to the floppy.  If it
automounts, it will just work.  If it does the equivalent of supermount,
it will work even better.  If it is done with better hardware, it's done
perfectly.

> Yes it's a kernel issue but it comes back to haunt the desktop.

And it haunts the command line, and the careless sysadmin, and the
install procedure, and the audio CD world, etc.  It's not GNOME's
problem.  It the whole system's.  Thus, it is the kernel's.

I'm really not seeing how this is hard to grasp.  Yes, the kernel's dumb
behaviour is affecting the desktop.  But, if an apartment building's
leaky roof causes everyone a problem, is it the job of the person in
apartment 4C to strap himself to the ceiling to fix it?  That's the
equivalent of trying to get GNOME to fix the automounting problem.
It'll be done with extreme strain on GNOME, will only be done
half-assed, and won't really fix it for everyone.  Just as the apartment
building itself would need to be fixed, so does the kernel.