Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome.

> For the love of the gods, no!  It *is* a kernel issue!  Even if you

Yeah Yeah, not every one is in the same time zone you know!!!

> > Just as I had a problem when I switched to windows with it's not knowing
> > if there was a floppy in the drive (The amiga knew, great that was)
> >

> Hmm, I'm curious as to what you mean; how does Windows not knowing there
> is a floppy work?  Doesn't it always check every time you access it?

Windows handles floppys poorly as well.  If I save a word doc to a
floppy, eject the floppy with out exiting word then the file on t he
floppy is corupt.  Even though the disk spun and the lights were on etc,
no body is home.  Try it, it sucks as much as the need to mount.
unmount.

Now, the amiga diod not use generic floppy drives such as those found in
PC's.  The amiga floppy drive has extra hardware tat notifys the system
when there is a disk inserted.  Put a disk in and it's mounted.  Make a
change to the floppy and it's writen right then and there, not buffered
so that if the disk is removed all is ok.

This is how it should be on any system (including windows and unix) as
floppys can be removed at the push of a button.

So relax, it's a kernel issue as you say, but it's a user issue to which
makes it a gnome and kde issue as well.  How are the kde people
handeling it does any one know?

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss